Sunday, July 25, 2010

Rawr!

Some of you might be surprised to learn that I have a subscription to Glamour. I don't take everything in it seriously, but I miss it when I let my subscription lapse. This month there was an article (sadly not available online) titled "The Cavewoman’s Guide to Good Health". I found that the article mirrored a lot of the observations I have made about the way I achieve happiness (and the Wonder Woman fan in me enjoys imagining herself as a cavewoman). Recently my happiness score has gone up due to changes I've made.

When I was a little kid, I was not physically active at all, but thanks to the magic of genetics, I was skinny as a twig. I didn't have very many friends either. I would spend all weekend inside reading, with an occasional Saltine break. See that kid, reading during a trip to Walt Disney World? That was me. Fast-forward twenty years, and I have developed a serious gym habit. The changes on the outside have been subtle, but the changes to my mind are more interesting. I used to get angry or sad very easily, but over the last few months, I've become less volatile. There's also a new mental strength that I don't remember having before--a willingness to try something difficult. I think I've gotten tougher.

No comments:

Post a Comment